Saturday, August 28, 2010

Patience, patience, patience

Hi everyone!!!

I've gotten a few requests to explain what exactly I'm doing in Indonesia.  I am doing the Darmasiswa Scholars Program, which is a scholarship program funded by the Indonesian Government.  They fund study of either Bahasa Indonesia, or one of Indonesia's original art forms at a university in Indonesia for 6 months or 1 year.  I am studying Bahasa Indonesia for 6 months at the University of Lampung, which is the biggest university in the province of Lampung, Sumatra's southernmost province.  The University of Lampung is in the city of Bandar Lampung, which is a city of about 1 million people.  It is right across the ocean from Jakarta, only a small straight separates the two.  In between the southern tip of the island Sumatra (where Bandar Lampung is) and the Northwest tip of Java (where Jakarta is) is the famous Krakatou volcano.  So, hopefully it won't erupt while I'm living in Bandar Lampung!  Or any of the other volcanoes for that matter.  

Dinner at Pipit's
On Saturday night (one week ago) I was invited by text message from "Pipit" saying she met me at church, did I remember? to dinner at her house.  I didn't remember.. I had met about 40 people at church the first week, but I of course accepted her invitation and was later picked-up by her husband on a moped.  At their house live Pipit, her 2 younger sisters, her mother, her husband and their baby, and her husband's sister.  Again, the home was very modest, we all sat on the floor while they asked me question after question.  Pipit and her husband are the staff workers for Campus Crusade for Christ on the UNILA (University of Lampung) campus.  CCC has a different name here, but I can't remember it, but they kept saying "CCC" anyhow.  They showed me pictures of when they used to live in Medan (North part of Sumatra) and the ministry they did there.  It was pretty awesome.  It was also amazing that God gave me the language to be able to have that entire time effectively communicating with them and understanding everything that was going on, a miracle!!  It felt like the first time I had been able to talk to people in a few weeks!  And it was definitely God, because since then, I haven't been understanding anything..once again.  They invited me to their desa (village) for Idul Fitri.  I'm not sure how far away it is, but it would be cool to see where their family comes from and see life in a more rural setting.  Plus, they are just wonderful people.

Life here
I don't have much to write about because not much has really happened here.  Classes, they just decided, now start on September 1st, but we're going to have makeshift class every day until then anyways (whatever that means?).  The majority of what has been going on here is basically frustrating stories of trying to get information from the university/program about what is going on, so I'll spare you.  Things move very slow here, which has been quite hard for me.  I remember feeling that way in Spain too, and Indonesia is that times three.  The slow pace has been a blessing in many ways as well.  I've been able to spend more time with God than I've been able to in a long time and it's been really awesome.  He has been growing me in patience more than anything.. it's not very fun though, because I'm very bad at it and it's very hard.  Luckily, God is very good at it and helps and teaches me.  I just started reading "The Good News About Injustice" by Haugen yesterday and I'm already almost half way through the book.. which hasn't happened since Harry Potter.  haha.  Soo.. it's reeeally good, and perfect to be reading while I'm in Indonesia. 
   A couple from Poland arrived about a week ago (some fellow "bule"!).  The guy, Yan, has been in bed the whole week.  The first day here his leg swelled up to twice its size and had huge welts, blood, and disgusting stuff all over it.  Then it started on his other leg a little and then by his eye.  The doctors here don't know what it is, but luckily today he started getting better!  Scary!!  Another Darmasiswa student from Turkey/Germany just got here yesterday.  She's going to be living at the same rumah kos as myself and the couple from Poland.  There is one Darmasiswa student that is still on their way.  He's from Madagascar, and will be here next week.  So that makes 9 Darmasiswa students total, (as well as 9 international students at UNILA total :)).  Hopefully I will find a travel buddy soon!

Good day.
Thank you everyone for reading, your prayers, messages, thoughts, and support!  It has really helped me feel connected and supported in these last few weeks.  I'll talk to you again soon! 

Here are a few photos from my time here so far: 
The first week at church giving a speech to the Church.  Standing next to me is Mas Wawan.

This is the rumah kos where I live.  My room is the furthest right - the furthest right holes in the grey concrete at the end of the building. 

1 comment:

k.dubois said...

I love reading your blog entries! Great to see photos too - I'm glad some one got one of you speaking at church!

Post a Comment